YB Queenie Chong, age 35, from Brunei, she is a remarkable innovator who has dedicated her professional journey to driving substantial positive transformations within her community and beyond. Commencing her career as an Economics educator, she has since taken the lead in pioneering a range of initiatives in Brunei that underscore her visionary commitment. These include spearheading a digital portal exclusively dedicated to environmental concerns and establishing Startup Brunei, a venture builder that extends unique opportunities to differently-abled young individuals through its subsidiary, UnikLearn. Moreover, her latest endeavor, Mirath, is poised to revolutionize the conventional funeral industry through ingenious solutions.
In addition to her enterprising ventures, Queenie assumes several esteemed positions that underline her influence and leadership. She serves as the Vice President of the Young Entrepreneur Association of Brunei, holds a board membership in the ASEAN Young Women Entrepreneurs Club, and actively contributes as a member of the Village Committee in her community. In January 2023, His Majesty, the Sultan of Brunei, appointed her as a Member of the Legislative Council, further cementing her role as a dedicated advocate. In this new capacity, her primary focus centers on fostering digital and technological literacy, nurturing youth entrepreneurship, and cultivating a workforce primed for the demands of the future.
Queenie’s body of work serves as a resounding testament to her pioneering mindset, her unwavering dedication to inclusivity and societal metamorphosis, and her fervent commitment to empowering individuals to initiate meaningful change. Her profound impact resonates as an inspiring example of transformative leadership.
Through her contributions, Queenie was also:
• Awarded a State Honorary Medal (P.I.K.B) by His Majesty, Sultan of Brunei in 2023.
• Recognised as the 30 Women legal innovators in Asia to follow in 2022.
• Awarded the National Excellent Youth Award of Brunei by His Majesty, Sultan of Brunei in 2021.
• Nominated as A Young Global Leader of the World Economic Forum for the class of 2021.
• Recognised as Brunei’s 50 most inspiring LinkedIn Icon in 2020 and 2021.
• Recognised as the 30 people to watch in the Business of Law in Asia 2020.
• Awarded the Grand Winner and Country Winner of the MCCC-AAET Green Award in 2014.